At Ranger Point, we have done many, many action jobs on Marlin leverguns. One of the first things customers ask us to address is the overly stiff, and often sharp edged, factory loading gate spring. Everyone knows the factory loading gate can make loading ammo into the rifle a difficult and unpleasant task.
The RPP Flyweight Loading Gate greatly reduces the effort required to stoke your Marlin. It's a masterfully tuned, competition grade part right out of the gate.
Starting with a massive reduction in spring weight, the RPP gate requires only about 1.5 lbs. of force to open fully, while the factory loading gate can require in excess of 5 lbs.
Next, we redesigned the loading gate to offer substantially more clearance for cartridges, further reducing load effort. This is a significant benefit when loading fat, straight wall ammo like the Marlin 444. In fact, during testing we discovered that we could load a .444 dummy through the gate of a typical Marlin 336 .30-30, without benefit of the Model 444's magazine tube clearance bulge. That's first class leg room!
Finally, we paid very careful attention to the inside "feed lip" area of the gate, optimizing geometry to ease gate opening against an on-deck round, and offer smooth feeding, with perfect case head control. With every gate precisely CNC machined from solid bar stock and hand polished, consistent results are assured.
Material is 7057-T6 aluminum, the strongest grade available. Engineered for highly stressed air frames, 7057 has extraordinary fatigue strength for thousands of flex cycles without failure. When anodized, it has a surface hardness exceeding hardened steel, for excellent wear properties.
RPP Flyweight Loading Gate Features:
* Spring weight reduced by up to 70%
* No tuning required, saving you time and hassle
* Greatly increased cartridge clearance
* No knife sharp edges
* Easy loading and smooth, reliable feeding
* Precisely machined from 7075 billet and hard anodized for extreme durability
* Available in black, gold or clear anodized finish to closely match stainless rifles
* 10-15 minute installation time
A couple of good screwdrivers is all that's needed.
The gun will need to be partially disassembled - just go slo, and remember that each screw needs to return to it's original home, so get a piece of cardboard box, draw an approximation of the receiver on it, and poke a hole in your drawing where each screw can rest until reassembly.
1) Clear the rifle & ensure the chamber and magazine are EMPTY.
2) Unscrew/remove the tang screw from the upper/rear receiver tang, and pull off the buttstock to the rear.
3) Partially open bolt/lever, remove lever pivot screw and slide lever out of the bottom of the receiver (no need to remove bolt)
4) De-cock the hammer with the safety disengaged. Push forward on the hammer spring bridge and pull or push out one side of its groove. This will free the hammer spring
5) Remove hammer pivot screw, bottom trigger plate screw and side support screws to free the trigger plate from the receiver.
6) Remove the trigger plate / lower tang from the bottom of the receiver (some gentle prying may be needed).
7) Pull the locking lug out of the bottom of the receiver and swing the carrier out of the receiver (no need to remove the carrier pivot screw)
8) Unscrew the loading gate spring (1” behind he loading gate opening) and install the new gate and screw it in
Reassemble in reverse order.
58 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
My Marlin 1894c came with a loading gate where the spring was much too tight. Pinched fingers and cut cuticles are a thing of the past with this loading gate. Awesome upgrade and my Marlin is now easy to load.
My Marlin 1894CSBL in .357 was so hard and painful to load. After getting your gate and shortening the mag spring, I finally have a fast and smooth loading rifle. Thanks for making this.
Easy to install, and made loading much easier! Fit well.
This works great it is much easier to load now than with factory load gate
This product is absolutely outstanding. At least a 100% better than the Marlin original equipment. Makes loading my 30-30 much more enjoyable.
I am 72 years old with arthritis and your loading gate makes it much less painful to load my Marlin 1894. I will definitely be getting more of them for my other Marlins.
Just added my 2nd loading gate to my other 1894. Totally happy with these units. Also added the mag followers to both 1894s. They work very well also.
All the reviews posted are absolutely true. Installing a Ranger Point Precision loading gate spring on my 1895 Marlin go from very tedious and painful to a piece of cake. Additionally, I can typically load cartridges of a longer OAL to boot, which really helps with heavier weight bullets. The only way this mod could get any better is if the color/finish of the loading gate were closer to the finish of a blued gun. Marlin should contract with RPP to make this a factory install...it's that good.
A brand new Marlin 1895 Guide rifle was threatening to amputate small parts of various fingers every time I tried to load it, and putting small shavings of case brass into the action in the process. After watching a YouTube video, I installed this baby with no problem and learned how easy it was to take down the rifle in the process. Do yourself a favor and get the correct screwdriver bits
from Brownells to do the job right.