At Ranger Point, we have done many, many action jobs on Marlin leverguns. One of the first things customers ask us to address is the overly stiff, and often sharp edged, factory loading gate spring. Everyone knows the factory loading gate can make loading ammo into the rifle a difficult and unpleasant task.
The RPP Flyweight Loading Gate greatly reduces the effort required to stoke your Marlin. It's a masterfully tuned, competition grade part right out of the gate.
Starting with a massive reduction in spring weight, the RPP gate requires only about 1.5 lbs. of force to open fully, while the factory loading gate can require in excess of 5 lbs.
Next, we redesigned the loading gate to offer substantially more clearance for cartridges, further reducing load effort. This is a significant benefit when loading fat, straight wall ammo like the Marlin 444. In fact, during testing we discovered that we could load a .444 dummy through the gate of a typical Marlin 336 .30-30, without benefit of the Model 444's magazine tube clearance bulge. That's first class leg room!
Finally, we paid very careful attention to the inside "feed lip" area of the gate, optimizing geometry to ease gate opening against an on-deck round, and offer smooth feeding, with perfect case head control. With every gate precisely CNC machined from solid bar stock and hand polished, consistent results are assured.
Material is 7057-T6 aluminum, the strongest grade available. Engineered for highly stressed air frames, 7057 has extraordinary fatigue strength for thousands of flex cycles without failure. When anodized, it has a surface hardness exceeding hardened steel, for excellent wear properties.
RPP Flyweight Loading Gate Features:
* Spring weight reduced by up to 70%
* No tuning required, saving you time and hassle
* Greatly increased cartridge clearance
* No knife sharp edges
* Easy loading and smooth, reliable feeding
* Precisely machined from 7075 billet and hard anodized for extreme durability
* Available in black, gold or clear anodized finish to closely match stainless rifles
* 10-15 minute installation time
A couple of good screwdrivers is all that's needed.
The gun will need to be partially disassembled - just go slo, and remember that each screw needs to return to it's original home, so get a piece of cardboard box, draw an approximation of the receiver on it, and poke a hole in your drawing where each screw can rest until reassembly.
1) Clear the rifle & ensure the chamber and magazine are EMPTY.
2) Unscrew/remove the tang screw from the upper/rear receiver tang, and pull off the buttstock to the rear.
3) Partially open bolt/lever, remove lever pivot screw and slide lever out of the bottom of the receiver (no need to remove bolt)
4) De-cock the hammer with the safety disengaged. Push forward on the hammer spring bridge and pull or push out one side of its groove. This will free the hammer spring
5) Remove hammer pivot screw, bottom trigger plate screw and side support screws to free the trigger plate from the receiver.
6) Remove the trigger plate / lower tang from the bottom of the receiver (some gentle prying may be needed).
7) Pull the locking lug out of the bottom of the receiver and swing the carrier out of the receiver (no need to remove the carrier pivot screw)
8) Unscrew the loading gate spring (1” behind he loading gate opening) and install the new gate and screw it in
Reassemble in reverse order.
45 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Much smoother, and easy to install. Video was very helpful.
Excellent upgrade for the 1895! Loads AND unloads with a lot less effort than stock gate. No more brass shavings or pinched fingers.
Found this solution after cutting my finger on the stiff factory loading gate. Install was easy, and now it loads way easier and no worries of getting bit again.
It offers just the right amount of spring. Well made and function is better then the original.
I just installed my new loading gate on my Marlin 1894 357. Only have run dummy rounds thru and can't believe how easy it is to load now. Will be ordering one for my 1894 45c real soon. Very impressed.
Wow...just wow. So much easier to load AND unload my .45-70 Govt. No pinched fingers and no brass shavings. Super easy install. Do not overtighten the screw because it breaks easily...just snug it. A++
Just finished installing in my 1894 357 and my dummy rounds loaded a lot easier than original loading gate. Will be ordering one for my 1894 45 colt.
No more busted-up fingers for this huntress. Easy to install, and makes loading my 1894 painless and smooth. Another RPP home run!
100% better than the one that came with gun. Ammo went in like butter. I am glad i spent the money on this worth it.
Loved it! Should have been done by Marlin! Practiced re-assembly a few times until I remember that, on safety, the hammer falls forward but doesn't contact in! Video was great, too.